I had this skirt in my closet for a long time, having only worn it once. It was really pretty and all, just not the right length for me, and gaping a lot at the waist (see picture below). And then there was this top which was such a perfect fabric match - they were just meant for each other:
Oh let's just have a little more fun! Here goes:
NOW you understand why I never wore that skirt!
So I measured my underbust width and cut the skirt to that width - on the side where the zipper was. I also measured how long I needed the shirt part to be in order to just cover my bust and cut it there. In both cases of course leaving enough seam allowance - especially on the skirt side, for the new zipper...:
The skirt was lined. I cut the waistband and zipper off and the two layers came apart. I made sure the crochet part was going to be below the waist where I wanted it - I didn't want it at exactly waist hight - in summer I often prefer not to have very tight waist bands... and it would have turned out too short in general anyway.
I made pleats under the bust and on the back piece of the top until the skirt and top part had the same width, and sewed them together.
Next I installed a zipper - the old one would have been too short now, so I had to use a new one - alas, mine came from an old pair of pants, so real re-fashionning here!
I optioned for a very regular covered zipper, no hand-picking or anything, but I really think in a side seam like that it is good enough.
By the way - please excuse all the badly ironed pictures! it is simply too hot to have the iron on right now!
Next I took the skirt lining and sewed it to the seam allowances on the inside, covering those up nicely in the end:
(Again, please excuse the bad wrinkles!)
|Dress inside out|
I also sewed the lining to the zipper and seam allowances on the left side. I only wish I had something to cover up the top of the zipper, where it is sewn to the top part...
Then I pulled a band through the crochet part of the skirt:
...and finished it off with beads:
I could lie and tell you this was all a plan, but I actually thought I was going to be finished by that point. But the top part didn't fit right between underbust and hip, so I added this band closure. Sometimes the best things happen by chance, if you just let it...
|Back of the dress|
I also sewed the band to the top band of the shirt for extra loveliness:
And - ta-daa, done!
But enough with the dress form! Once again I am pleased to say: I think it looks better on me than on her!
Another dress for zero money, and I have gotten rid of two more pieces that clog up the closet and aren't ever worn. I just fell in love with re-fashioning again.
Make sure you check out the refashion co-op! Lots of cool people show lots of great re-fashions. It is a truly inspiring place!